Tuesday 5 December 2023

All I Want For Christmas Is You - Vince Vance & the Valiants

Not the same song as Maria's, of course... or is it?

For Vince Vance aka Andy Stone aka Andrew John Franichevich Jnr is currently suing Carey for copywrite infringements as he believes his AIWFCIY - released in 1989 and so pre-dating Carey's by five years - contains certain chord sequences and a 'unique linguistic structure' that has been stolen from the song he composed with his writing partner Troy Powers.

Although it flew under the radar here in the UK, the Valiants song was a big hit on the Billboard Country chart for Vance, and was actually in the charts on re-release just 9 months before Mariah released her festive opus. Stone & Powers are claiming $20m in damages and, being as they are being represented by attorney Gerard P. Fox, who also represented the clients who sued Taylor Swift for infringement in the 'Shake It Off' case that ended in an undisclosed settlement, they may be feeling encouraged in getting a decent payday.  

What do I think? Who cares? I'm just here to spin the hits. But I can say without any hesitation at all that I prefer the Vance song - the sax break is spine-tingling - and absolutely adore Lisa Layne's vocal and would much rather share an ASDA hot buttered Christmas Tree crumpet with Ms Layne than Maria any day of Advent. 

In support of Vince, I've also decided to style my hair in a Vance style for Christmas. 

Say 'Hi' if you see me about.


No comments:

Post a Comment