Sunday 24 December 2023

Day 24 - In The Bleak Midwinter - Wolf Alice

December 24th. Another Christmas Eve. That noise is either one of two things; it's the sound of a man traipsing the West End hand-in-hand with the Ghost of Christmases Past but equally, this year, it could be me chewing on some humble pie.

On Day 7 of last year's Calendar was a version of 'Santa Baby' by the usually excellent Wolf Alice. I was very dismissive of it, saying 'File under Must Do Better' but actually it was me that needed to improve, because had I searched more thoroughly, I could have ignored the dull seven-year-old Eartha Kitt cover that I went with and replaced it with this dreamy, shimmering gem from December 2022.

With Christmas Eve falling on a Sunday this year I needed a Carol of substance, and though I try to avoid putting artists on the Calendar who've appeared the previous year I just couldn't leave this majestic, haunting rendition off. 

Have a Peaceful Day and be with the one you love - wherever they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment